After over a decade of critiquing now-published novels and short stories for friends, as well as writing and publishing my own, I am ready to help you make your story shine. I offer manuscript critiques as well as proofreading services for both novels and short stories.
Manuscript Critique: Do you need a fresh pair of eyes on your story to give you an idea how it’s going to come across to readers? I will:
- Provide a brief analysis of your work as to how I see the story working for your target audience
- Offer broad suggestions for revisions
- Give an assessment of the saleability of your work.
I am happy to do partial or full MSS for critiquing; if you want someone to look at the first few chapters only, I am available for that as well as for the entire story.
Developmental Editing: Need more than a basic critique, but not quite ready for the nuts and bolts of copy editing yet? I will:
- Provide an in-depth analysis of your work as regards tone, readability, structure, pacing, and characterization
- Check for internal consistency (and series consistency if it is part of a series) and plot holes
- Offer detailed suggestions for revisions, both in-text and in a separate email.
Proofreading: Is your story all but ready to burst upon the world, but you need that final check to make sure it’s practically perfect in every way? I will:
- Check for typos and spelling errors
- Do a basic grammar check (for more in-depth grammar help, you will need a copy editor)
- Track revisions so you can review the changes
- Offer a short summary of the work I’ve done, and why.
Genres and Constraints: I am happy to accept fiction of any length in the following genres:
- Science fiction
- Cozy mystery
- Historical mystery
- Historical fiction
- Young Adult
- Middle Grade
- I am open to discussion on other genres; email me and ask
I will not accept any of the following genres:
I also will not accept the following in any genre:
- Graphic or excessive violence
- Graphic or excessive sexual content
- Excessive use of foul/coarse language
- Anything involving child abuse or rape, even if it happens off-page
If you have any questions regarding any of the above or would like to discuss a project, email me at firstname.lastname@example.org. I look forward to working with you!
*If I find, after beginning work on your project, that it seems to require copy editing, I will contact you to discuss an adjustment of cost for the work involved.